Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Lime and Cilantro Dressing
Squash is not often used in salads, but it has a beautifully complex flavor that pairs well with lime and the sweet notes of honey.
Make this salad right before you are planning on serving it as the squash can get mushy when it sits too long.
If you plan on storing it for more than an hour, keep the vegetables and dressing separated at room temperature. Combine just before serving.
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
For the Salad
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper to taste
For the Dressing
- Juice of 1 lime (or 3–4 Key limes)
- Zest of ½ lime (or 2 Key limes)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Small handful fresh cilantro, minced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and dice the squash and onion into approximately 1-inch cubes.
2. Melt the coconut oil and toss with the onion and squash. Season with salt and pepper, toss again, and pour out onto a large baking tray in one even layer.
3. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway through, until vegetables are softened and slightly golden.
4. Remove from oven and cool on tray to room temperature.
5. Make the dressing: Mix dressing ingredients (except cilantro) together in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until honey dissolves into lime juice. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
6. Pour over salad and serve warm.
Originally posted 2020-10-07 14:09:17.